Although we love our dynamic stretch together after a solid 45-60 minute sweat sesh, it is SO important that you stretch on your own as well. In this post, we review some of our favorite stretches to help open our hips, chest, and hearts! When you are riding with us multiple times a week, it is crucial that you stretch (even if it’s just 10 minutes a day) to help alleviate some of the stress riding can put on your body. We’ve found that stretching is not only good for the body, but for the mind as well – we love taking those ten minutes to meditate, think about what we are grateful for, or reflect on three amazing things that happened in our day. If you focus your mind on gratitude and positivity, you’ll find that your mind will begin to shift from looking for negative points in your day, to seeking out the positive – trust us, it works!
- Hip Openers
- Downward Dog – come into a straight arm plank, pushing your booty into the air, and dropping your head towards the floor, walk your feet out, feeling the stretch through the backs of your legs.
- Pigeon – come into a plank position, bring your right leg up between your hands, dropping your calf down onto the ground, hold here, or let your body come forward over your bent leg to exaggerate the stretch. Repeat with opposite leg. *See photo below for reference*
- Butterfly – laying on your back, bring your feet together, bottom of your feet touching, feeling the stretch through your inner thigh and hip.
- Chest Openers
- Bring your arms in prayer position behind your back, even if your palms do not touch, just hold what feels comfortable for you, taking a few deep breaths in and out, heart open, feeling the stretch in your chest and forearms. *See photo below for reference*
- Grab a towel, holding onto each end, bring your arms up over head, moving your body gently from right to left, feeling the stretch in your chest, and down your side body as you move from side to side. Hold center, and on each side for at least 30 seconds each.
- Grab a towel, bringing it back behind your butt, grab each side of the towel behind you, while bringing your head and torso down towards the floor, move your arms up, feeling the stretch in your chest as your bring your arms back and up towards your head.
- Lower Back
- Sitting on your bum, legs out in front, bring one leg in to your chest, hugging it here for a few breaths, release it down across your other leg. Inhaling in, bring one arm across the crossed leg, feeling the stretch in your lower back. Repeat with opposite leg. *See photo below for reference*
- Laying on your back bring one foot up to your chest, leaving the other flat on the ground, hugging that leg as close to your body as feels comfortable. Repeat with opposite leg.
- Laying on your back, bring one leg up to your chest, and then bring it across your body, using one arm to pull your leg as far across your body as feels comfortable. Repeat with opposite leg.
As always, let any of our instructors know if you have any questions, or if you want any additional stretches to try on your own!
The Tandem Team
*Photo References – Click the Image to Enlarge*